Saturday, May 14, 2011

FLASHBACK: LED ZEPPELIN II Tour on APRIL 7 1970 - Charlotte, NC



Flashing back to when I saw LED ZEPPELIN II Tour on APRIL 7 1970. I remember Robert saying here's a song from our next album and then launching into Since I've Been Loving You.


I remember hearing that Whole Lotta Love guitar solo / theremin breakdown and being hooked on Zep. The theremin sounded like sirens on the record, eventually I figured out that it was the same thing I had heard on sci-fi tv/movies and Beach Boys (Good Vibrations.) Nobody rocks the snake voodoo theremin dance quite like Page.

SEE 8mm fan footage featuring Led Zeppelin performing in Charlotte, North Carolina, April 7, 1970.


Setlist:
We're Gonna Groove, Dazed and Confused, Heartbreaker, Bring It On Home, White Summer / Black Mountainside, Since I've Been Loving You, Organ solo / Thank You, What Is and What Should Never Be, Moby Dick, Whole Lotta Love.

SEE MORE SNAPSHOTS by S. BETTS on ledzeppelin.com


In 1976, my younger brother Greg scored his own LES PAUL similar to the one Jimmy Page was playing in '70. Here's a snapshot of me playing Greg's guitar in early 80s.




I was 13 and my Dad drove me and two "older" girls (Bess & Sarah) who were in the next grade up to the concert in his 60s red Renault Dauphine Gordini Car.

Only saw ZEP that one time in 1970, although I did see various solo combos like Page (Outrider, Firm, Black Crowes) & Plant solo & Page/Plant & John Paul Jones solo twice and actually met JONESY at Paradise club in Boston after he played with Mutual Admiration Society. A friend was ex-soundman for JPJ solo, he had a private VIP sit down after the show.

No comments: